When you join, you will become an owner of the University of Hawai`i Federal Credit Union – the University’s Credit Union. As a UHFCU member, you will enjoy warm, friendly service, convenience, and money-saving rates and fees. Now’s the time to join a “wholesome alternative” with truly local roots, trustworthy advice, and many of the same products and services you’ll find at the big banks.
The Smarter Way to Bank
- State-of-the-Art banking & convenience
- 4 branches – including 3 convenient on-campus branches
- Founded in 1955 by a group of UH faculty members
- Over $600 million in assets and 29,000 members
Chances are YOU are eligible! Join the University’s Credit Union and experience what it is like to be part of a team supporting your school, fellow classmates, professors, staff, and their families.
Chances are YOU are eligible!
- Faculty and Staff of the University of Hawai`i system
- Students and Alumni of the University of Hawai`i system
- UHFCU Employees
- UH Alumni Association members and UH Board of Regents
- Employees of and students attending Kuhio Elementary, Lunalilo Elementary, Ala Wai Elementary, President George Washington Middle School, or the University Laboratory School
- Immediate family and household members of persons in Field of Membership
The Credit Union Difference
A credit union is a not-for-profit, financial cooperative that offer the same financial products and services as banks. But, one key difference is that credit unions exist for the purpose of helping their members financially, not to make a profit. When you join a credit union, you’re not just a customer. You are a member that owns a piece of the credit union. Rather than paying profits to unknown stockholders all over the world, the excess earnings are passed back to members in the form of competitive rates, additional products and services, and lower fees – saving you money. Credit unions are founded on the philosophy of “People Helping People”, which is demonstrated through unmatched service and dedication to their members.
Experience the Authentic Difference
- Owned by Members
- Membership with a common bond
- Save at higher rates
- Borrow at lower rates
- Fewer and lower fees
The institution clearly puts a priority on service to its members. There is a sense of shared interest, shared benefit and value. We're all in it together, shows in the demeanour and service.- UHFCU Member
Board of Directors
UHFCU is governed by a Board of Directors that establishes and reviews policy. The Directors are credit union members who are elected by the membership and are volunteers who serve without pay. Our Board of Directors ensures the credit union serves members’ interests with the highest standards of integrity and compliance. Serving equally as tough critics and wise counsellors, they provide in-depth oversight of the major strategic issues of the company.
- Edward Yuen, Chairperson
- Sylvia Higashi, Vice Chairperson
- Barbara Kawamoto, Treasurer
- Jan Javinar, Secretary
- Kenji Sumida
- Clifford Togo
- Michael Unebasami