This position is responsible for reviewing, analyzing, approving, and underwriting difficult, complex individual consumer requests and products within company and industry guidelines. Dependent on division, functions include reviewing financial statements, credit reports, and applicable ratios(i.e. Debt ratios, loan-to-value); examining transactions to ensure accuracy and completeness; preparing formal reports for review; ensuring that documents are consistent and uphold to company and industry guidelines; implementing fraud detection techniques, performing compliance reviews; assisting with re-negotiations of loans based on lending guidelines, serving as a consultant/technical resource on difficult problems and questions; handling escalated calls: providing work direction, feedback and training to underwriting staff including mentoring lower level underwriters on credit decisioning, department procedures and policies; delivering/facilitating of technical training to ensure organizational consistency. This position also assists with the solicitation, origination, processing, and closing of residential mortgages from application to loan closing to ensure compliance. May act as a team lead and provide performance feedback to less senior underwriters. May act as backup in absence of Supervisor.
This position has customer contact and job duties which may include the offering/negotiating of terms and/or taking an application for a dwelling secured transaction. As such, this position requires compliance with the S.A.F.E. Mortgage Licensing Act of 2008 and all related regulations. Ongoing employment is contingent upon meeting all such requirements, including acceptable background investigation results.
Candidates must meet the Loan Originator requirements under Regulation Z (LO) outlined in the performance standards below.
- Processes loans pursuant to quality control.
- Prepares residential mortgage loan documents, as necessary.
- Responsible for the accuracy of all information in the loan files to meet quality control standards and secondary marketing investor guidelines.
- Ensures compliance with all regulatory policies and procedures.
- Recommends improvements in procedures and processes as necessary to ensure the optimum efficiency and effectiveness of the credit union.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Must meet the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau qualification requirements and comply with related UHFCU policies. The LO qualification requirements include meeting applicable financial responsibility, character, general financial fitness, and criminal background standards. Successful candidates must also meet ongoing regulatory requirements including additional screening, if necessary.
- Provides excellent member service (internally & externally).
- Achieves loan production volumes as determined annually.
- Keeps up to date on credit union and secondary market policies, procedures, and services.
- Loans are processed accurately and timely.
- Executed documents are accurate and in compliance with all lending policies.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Business school, associate degree or equivalent is a plus.
- Must be registered with the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System.
- Basic understanding of MS Office Suite is desired.
- Knowledge of lending regulations.
- Knowledge in processing/underwriting procedures.
- At least 5 years of underwriting experience in Mortgage Loan Operations, which includes processing and closing conventional first and second mortgage loans pursuant to Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and other secondary marketing investor guidelines.
- Knowledgeable in secondary marketing investor requirements for quality control.
- Familiar with Loan Origination and Automated Underwriting Systems technology involved in the loan process.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent analytical, creative, and problem-solving skills.
- Able to prioritize workload and meet deadlines.
- Able to work independently and make sound decisions.
- Able to handle stressful situations.
Other Desired Skills:
- Experience with agency purchase loan transactions
- Experience leading individuals in a production environment
How to Apply
If you are interested in any of the positions listed above, please fill out the application (PDF) and send along with your resume to:
- By Mail:
University of Hawai`i FCU – HR Department
PO Box 22070, Honolulu, HI 96823-2070
- By E-Mail: email@example.com
Note: Please send resume as a .PDF document. Any other format will not be accepted.
- By Fax: 808-983-5556
- By Text*: Text “UHFCU” to 22100
The University of Hawai`i Federal Credit Union provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The University of Hawai`i Federal Credit Union complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.